Date: 9/11/17 3:13 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (11 Sep 2017) 84 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Kathleen Pileggi, Sue McLaughlin, Sabrena Boekell, Bob & Sue
Fry, Tim Zador.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10-25% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 51 - 74F, Winds Northeast @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
3-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (50) and
Turkey Vultures (55).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-0
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“The Early Bird….”---

This special note… tomorrow, Tuesday, we have a large group (30 or more)
from Maris Grove Retirement Community coming to the Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Hawk Watch for a quick “warbler walk” around 10am, then lunch, cooked on
our grill, coffee made in the field, and some quality hawk watching. Come
enjoy it all with us!

This morning, I led a 7AM warbler walk first by request…an incredibly
successful walk. We saw thirteen species of warblers, featuring
Connecticut, Bay-breasted, Magnolia, Blackburnian, Chestnut-sided,
Black-and-white, Parula, Tennessee, Black-throated Green, Black-throated
Blue, and more. But the Connecticut was the star of the show…an immature
bird, very obliging and close for an extended period of time. A
Philadelphia Vireo was also among the warblers.
.
We ran into Tim out collecting Frogs and Salamanders for a presentation at
school. The kids will love you, Tim!

A Cloudless Sulphur (butterfly) streaked across the meadow around noon. A
second and third “warbler walk” yielded precious little on the warbler
front – our birds being present only during the morning, that we could
find. The ever-present Blue Grosbeaks had to serve as consolation prizes.
Hope to see some of you with our group tomorrow!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Great Blue Heron, 1-PHILADELPHIA VIREO, 2-Tennessee Warbler, 2-Northern
Parula, 2-Chestnut-sided Warbler, 3-Magnolia Warbler, 2-Black-throated
Green Warbler, 1-Black-and-white Warbler, 4-American Redstart,
1-Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 3-Blue Grosbeak, 25-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (14): Monarch - 20, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem, Cloudless
Sulphur. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, White-tailed Deer, Red
Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.3; Steps: 14,787; Floors: 39.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 60; this season: 99
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
PHILADELPHIA VIREO.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like one more pretty good day before the remnants
of Irma head this way, with high cloudiness drifting in throughout the
day.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE LAND

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):