Date: 9/11/17 2:59 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden & Both Techny's Monday 9-11-17
Hello Bird People,

Today I was joined by former co-worker Al Wege at the 3 above
mentioned locations. We managed to see 2 special species among the
expected birds seen today. Here's my report:

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:30-10 a.m.)

I saw on IBET yesterday that Bob Hughes saw a Nelson's Sparrow at the
S.W. corner of the Dixon Prairie. I figured that it was a "fat chance"
that I would find it today but I am here to tell you that a
"fat chance" will happen occasionally as mixed in with about 10 Song
Sparrows was Bob's NELSON'S SPARROW in the same area as yesterday's
sighting. We saw it very well as it sat up for us twice at close
range. This was a "lifer" for Al W & a "year bird" for me. Also seen
in the same general area was a Lincoln's Sparrow.

Seen at the backwater mud flats were:
D.C. Cormorant (1 & 2 fly-bys), Great Blues (3) & Great Egret
Canada Goose (13), Mallard (8) & Green Winged Teal (1)
Killdeer (22), Solitary (1), Least (2) & Semipalmated (1) Sandpipers
Herring Gull (2-AD & 1-IM). Mourning Dove (4) & Kingfisher (1-F)

Among the land birds were Ruby Throated Hummer (1), Eastern Kingbird
(1-2), only 2 Barn Swallows, a still singing Warbling Vireo & a sneaky
Wren that was probably a Sedge Wren but I couldn't say for sure as it
escaped my view.

Techny Basin North (10:20-10:50 a.m.)

It may be about over for shorebirds here perhaps being due to the mud
flats being mostly dried up & maybe lacking in food for the
shorebirds. Again the only shorebirds were 7 Killdeer.

Continuing were D.C. Cormorant (2), Great Blues (4), Great Egret (1) &
B.C.N. Heron (1-IM)
Canada Goose (2), Wood Duck (26), Mallard (14) & Blue Winged Teal (3)
Ring Billed Gull (1 fly-by), Kingfisher (1 fly-by) & Barn Swallow (4)
Also heard 1 calling Catbird

Techny Basin South (11-11:30 a.m.)

Better for shorebirds here where I saw:
Killdeer (8) & Semipalmated Plover (2)
Lesser Yellowlegs (3), Solitary (4), Spotted (1) & STILT (1-Juv) Sandpipers
(May be the 1st time ever for a Stilt Sandpiper here for me)
Great Blues (3) & Great Egret (2)
Canada Goose (9), Mallard (only 4) & SHOVELER (1-M continuing)
Probably more of the same along the stream going north but I did not
have time to check there.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the surprisingly still present Nelson's Sparrow &
Runner-Up to the Stilt Sandpiper.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Montana seen at the CBG.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: