Date: 9/11/17 1:34 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
We attracted 29 birders to today's Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk, and totaled 59 species on this beautiful day.    Some of our highlights included a few Warblers leading what we hope will be a larger group in the days ahead; all of the Woodpecker species common to this time of year; the growing collection of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds who entertained with their acrobatics; and 3 Belted Kingfishers racing around the central wetlands at high speed and low altitude.  Following the walk, we gathered at the Norma Hoffman Visitor Center and took part in a discussion of the wetland management processes and techniques in answering many of the group's questions about water levels and principles of wetland management.  Our thanks to Karen Sheffield and Dave Lawlor for their leadership and expertise in explaining this complicated science.

Canada Goose  12
Wood Duck  3
Blue-winged Teal  1
Double-crested Cormorant  3
Great Blue Heron  4
Great Egret  1
Green Heron  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  3
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Lesser Yellowlegs  1
Mourning Dove  12
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Chimney Swift  30
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  5
Belted Kingfisher  3
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  6
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  8
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Eastern Wood-Pewee  6
Acadian Flycatcher  2
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Yellow-throated Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  8
American Crow  1
Fish Crow  2
crow sp.  1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  5
Tree Swallow  3
Barn Swallow  6
Carolina Chickadee  9
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  5
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  9
Eastern Bluebird  4
American Robin  28
Gray Catbird  4
European Starling  4
Cedar Waxwing  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  4
Magnolia Warbler  1
Palm Warbler  3
Song Sparrow  1
Scarlet Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  8
Blue Grosbeak  1
Orchard Oriole (Orchard)  1
Red-winged Blackbird  10
Common Grackle  7
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  12

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park