Date: 9/11/17 1:12 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Shorebirds, warblers, and a dead Pied-billed Grebe in Preston County
I spent over 4 hours this morning at Fairfax Pond-Rehe Wildlife Management
Area just south of Reedsville in Preston County. I caught a couple of small
warbler waves and noted several shorebirds on the middle pond, which has a
fair amount of mud back behind the lily pads. Highlights:

Wood Duck--9
Blue-winged Teal--2
Pied-billed Grebe--1, live
Great Blue Heron--2
Green Heron--2
Killdeer--16
Lesser Yellowlegs--1
Solitary Sandpiper--2
Pectoral Sandpiper--3
Empidonax flycatcher--1. Silent, of course, but being next to a pond
suggests Alder, or maybe Willow.
White-eyed Vireo--5
Eastern Bluebird--9
Cedar Waxwing--16
Tennessee Warbler--2
Cape May Warbler--2
Magnolia Warbler--1
American Redstart--2
Chestnut-sided Warbler--1
Bay-breasted Warbler--3
Blackpoll Warbler--2
Black-throated Green Warbler--5
Mystery warbler--Seen very briefly in scope in low shrubs next to pond from
across the pond. I got an impression of a yellow crown, so Chestnut-sided
Warbler would be the logical assumption, but Golden-winged and
Yellow-rumped might also be possible. Lost it very quickly when it flitted
out of scope view.

Complete checklist at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39131157

After lunch, a few highlights along the Decker's Creek Rail Trail from
Burke Road to north of McKinney Cave Road:

Green Heron--1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo--1
Philadelphia Vireo--1
Common Yellowthroat--1
Palm Warbler--1 western form

And, sadly, a dead Pied-billed Grebe on McKinney Cave Road just 10 feet
north of the large pond on the south side of the road. It must have been
flying in from the north and was descending to land in the pond when it was
hit by a car. No reason for it to be going north, and it certainly would
not have been walking across the road since grebes can barely walk on land
at all.

--
Terry Bronson
Morgantown, WV