Date: 9/11/17 10:04 am
From: Josh Engel <jengel5230...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Illinois Young Birders Calumet are field trip report
Seven young birders and their parents joined Matthew Cvetas and me on Sunday for the Illinois Young Birders' September field trip to the Calumet area on Chicago's South Side. We started at Eggers Grove Forest Preserve, which had a good number of migrants, including 12 species of warblers. We enjoyed good looks at many of them, along with Swainson's and Gray-cheeked Thrushes, a family of Red-headed Woodpeckers, and various woodland birds.
From Eggers we headed to the Skyway Monk Parakeet colony, where the parakeets were as active and noisy as ever.
We then returned south to Hegewisch Marsh, encouraged by Ethan Gylenhaal's report from there on Saturday. We quickly found all of Ethan's top birds, including both Long-billed and Short-billed Dowitchers and Stilt Sandpiper. At times, all three species could be seen in the same scope view. A couple of immature Common Gallinules were also there, and we enjoyed studying the numerous Lesser Yellowlegs and other scattered shorebirds.

A few of us wrapped up the morning at Burnham Prairie, where there was a distant dowitcher and a few peeps. The habitat looks good, so it's worth dropping in a for a visit.
Check out our website for information about the group, including our upcoming trip schedule: www.illinoisyoungbirders.org
Josh EngelILYB helper

Where in the world do you want to go birding?
Check out Custom and Set Departure birding & nature trips at www.redhillbirding.comLike us on Facebook www.facebook.com/redhillbirding

Join us on Facebook!