Date: 9/11/17 9:18 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Carter Hill Observatory (10 Sep 2017) 473 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 4 4

Total: 473 668 668

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Ken Klapper

Observers: Geoffrey Niswander, Ken Grossweiler and Lisa Kurtz,
Mark Timmerman, Maureen Joyce, Paul Bourgault,
Richard Chipman, with many more....

Visitors:
365, one for each day of the standard year :^)

Weather:
Ideal conditions - partly to mostly cloudy skies, a light to moderate NNW
breeze and temps from 60F to the mid-70s.

Raptor Observations:
Our first 3-figure kettles of Broad-wings were seen today, in the 1 to 2
o-clock hour (groups of 160 and 150). Continuing piscivores, and more
accipiters than yesterday. An adult hen harrier in the morning was our
first of this species for the season. A few small falcons rounded out a
great day.

Non-raptor Observations:
Sparrow migration is starting to kick in! Lincoln's and Savannah Sparrows
were seen today, in addition to the flock of Chippies and Song Sparrows.
Other notables include Northern Flicker, Gray Catbird, continuing (brown)
Indigo Buntings, House Wren, a few waterfowl (Canada Geese and Mallards...
heading north), 3 RT Hummingbirds, and 11 Monarchs.

Predictions:
A continuing great weather pattern for hawks or just hangin' out! There
should be many more Broad-wings and other species "in the pipeline".
Please come visit to help spot raptors with our wonderful Monday volunteer
counters, if you can get away from any obligations you may have...
migration season won't last forever! Will our first confirmed migrant
Peregrine of the season show up too?
Report submitted by Ken Klapper (<kklapper...>)
Carter Hill Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=679