Date: 9/11/17 8:59 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wheaton Regional Park today 9/11
Hi all,

Another brilliant day at WRP, unexpected because when I checked the radar last night it looked fairly quiet. However the action started early at the "ridge" along the Shorefield parking area, which kept birders active too for over an hour. Some birds were missed as they flew into the trees, but the flock contained two Wilson's Warblers which showed well for us. It was slow by the white house but picked up again near Pine Lake. In mid-morning a huge flock of swifts suddenly appeared over the lake, and remained swirling around in "tornado formation" for some time. We personally had 15 species of warbler, although some were only singletons. Interesting that the mix had changed so much, today the "flavor" was Redstarts (including about a half-dozen adult males) , Magnolias and Yellowthroats, with a good dose of Chestnut-sideds. There had also obviously been a major influx of Red-eyes and Pewees. Two Warbling Vireos singing (!) by the lake. A rather worn Yellow-bellied Flycatcher in Brookside was the only interesting Empid. Barry had a flyby Cuckoo of undetermined species. Although we saw no thrushes, others reported a Swainson's and a Gray-cheeked.

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville, MD

54 species (+3 other taxa)
Birds of interest

Wood Duck 5
Green Heron 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Yellow-billed/Black-billed Cuckoo 1
Chimney Swift 100
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 4
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 10
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 12 Large increase since yesterday
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 1 Worn adult showing molt.
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) 2
Red-eyed Vireo 25 Conservative estimate
Blue Jay 25 Estimate, most flyovers
House Wren (Northern) 4
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Eastern Bluebird 8
American Robin 30 Estimate
Gray Catbird 15 Estimate, increase since yesterday
Northern Waterthrush 1
Black-and-white Warbler 5
Tennessee Warbler 2
Nashville Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 12 Significant increase
American Redstart 20
Cape May Warbler 1
Northern Parula 2
Magnolia Warbler 18 Estimate
Bay-breasted Warbler 1
Blackburnian Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 10
Black-throated Green Warbler 7
Canada Warbler 3
Wilson's Warbler 2
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.) 20 Early flybys into high trees
Chipping Sparrow 15
Eastern Towhee 2
Scarlet Tanager 1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 3