Date: 9/10/17 9:36 pm
From: Mary Garrard <springazure1...>
Subject: [obol] ????? Barn Swallows
Hi everyone, Bev Clark and I drove up to Grand Island this evening to observe the Barn Swallow corn field roosting phenomenon. It was amazing. We couldn’t begin to estimate the numbers.

We arrived in the general area around 6:45pm. We weren’t sure which cornfield it would be, so we drove around a bit. There were quite a few swallows in the area, but nowhere near the huge numbers Paul reported. We settled down near a cornfield a bit too far to the west, but the swallows at that field disappeared around 7:30pm. So we drove east on the north arm of Lower Grand Prairie Loop and found ourselves closer to the field that Paul reported yesterday, as determined because that was where the swallows were grouping. As we watched, hundreds of swallows streamed north across the road, just above our heads, towards the chosen cornfield. To the north, then, was truly a huge huge huge swarm of swallows. It was impossible to see them clearly in the fading light—it was like when a hatch of some insect is backlit and you can see how many there are. They appeared to be swirling together in a similar manner to swifts before they settle into a chimney. We strained to see, and by 7:56 or so it seemed that they had dropped into the cornfield.

Altogether a lovely evening in the farm country of Yamhill County.

Mary