Date: 9/10/17 7:23 pm
From: Deb Hale <debhale72...>
Subject: Swift end to Summer
We grabbed the plaid wool blanket and our binoculars and headed over to our
neighbor Mark Trail's patch of yard a few doors down in Bolivar. He is a
most gracious host. He brought my young son a cold bottle of apple juice
and a chilled sippy cup. The time was 7:18. The sky was clean of chimney
swifts. I thought, perhaps they have all gone. It was just this past
Tuesday evening Mark swore he must have counted 1000 swifts the night
before. The weather has certainly changed quickly and early this year. But
then the first one appeared in the sky a few minutes later. And suddenly
their numbers multiplied exponentially as the minutes passed. Soon, a large
group was chattering and sweeping circles in the local sky.

Sunset was pegged at 7:27 pm this evening; we watched the last Chimney
drop into Mark's chimney at 7:48. We counted approximately 140 swifts.

Deb Hale
Harpers Ferry/Bolivar

Join us on Facebook!