Date: 9/10/17 3:58 pm
From: Don Gorney <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Ft. Harrison SP - nighthawk, Balt Oriole, juv. sparrows
Birding on Sunday morning at Fort Harrison State Park, Indy, turned up 57 species. The bird walk got off to a quick start with awesome looks at a perched Common Nighthawk and a number of warblers and vireos at the edge of Delaware Lake parking lot. An adult male Baltimore Oriole, dozens of waxwings, and side by side views of juvenile Chipping and Field Sparrows were some additional highlights. Below is my complete list most of which was seen during the bird walk. But, I did have several species on my own before the walk.
Canada Goose  2
Double-crested Cormorant  2
Great Blue Heron (Blue form)  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  13
Mourning Dove  5
Common Nighthawk  1
Chimney Swift  8
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  3
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  6
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  3
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  8
Eastern Phoebe  3
Yellow-throated Vireo  2
Warbling Vireo (Eastern)  5
Red-eyed Vireo  2
Blue Jay  17
Carolina Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern)  5
House Wren  3
Carolina Wren  6
Veery  1
Swainson's Thrush (Olive-backed)  30
Wood Thrush  2
American Robin  35
Gray Catbird  9
Brown Thrasher  1
European Starling  15
Cedar Waxwing  75
Northern Waterthrush  1
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Black-and-white Warbler  2
Tennessee Warbler  5
Nashville Warbler  1
American Redstart  9
Northern Parula  1
Magnolia Warbler  5
Bay-breasted Warbler  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Yellow-throated Warbler  1
Black-throated Green Warbler  2
Chipping Sparrow  6
Field Sparrow  4
Song Sparrow  2
Eastern Towhee  1
Northern Cardinal  14
Indigo Bunting  1
Baltimore Oriole  1
Red-winged Blackbird  45
House Finch  5
American Goldfinch  5
House Sparrow  4

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39104562
There will be a bird walk each Sunday in September and October at Fort Harrison State Park. Meet at 8am at the Delaware Lake parking lot (NE corner).
 Don Gorney
Indianapolis, IN
317.501.4212
dongorney AT yahoo.com