Date: 9/10/17 2:02 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Dunes, Hegewisch Marsh, Burnham Prairie & Indian Ridge Sunday 9-10-17
Hello Bird People,

Made a quick stop at Montrose & only checked the beach in case a big
shorebird had dropped in but no such luck with only 2 Killdeer at the
flooded beach area & 8 Sanderlings on or near the protected beach
area. A Red Tailed Hawk & 1 Crow were chasing each other. Then on to
the Lake Calumet area.

Hegewisch Marsh (8:15-9:30 a.m.)

Having advertised this place last weekend I felt I deserved to see
Ethan's L.B. Dowitcher just for getting others to look here & see it I
did. After I was there for about 30 min Andrew A showed up & here's
what we saw:

P.B. Grebe (4) & Common Gallinule (4 young)
Great Blues (2), Great Egret (1 fly-by) & Green Heron (2)
Mute Swan (the usual 2 adults & 3 large young) & Canada Goose (16)
Wood Ducks, Mallards & a few Blue Winged Teal (no counts as the sun
was in my eyes)
Cooper's & Red Tailed Hawks (1 each flying by)
Killdeer (6) & Semipalmated Plover (1)
Greater (1) & Lesser (14) Yellowlegs
Solitary (1-2), Least (2), Semipalmated (6) & STILT (2-JUV) Sandpipers
Short & LONG BILLED DOWITCHERS (1 each)
Some of the land birds were Downy Wd (2), Flicker (1), Magnolia
Warbler (1) & Red Winged Blackbirds (10-11 still in the marsh)

Burnham Prairie Wetlands (9:40-10:30 a.m.)

Here I guess I did not deserve to see Ethan's Sanderling & so I did
not. I would also have liked to see his Least Bittern but true to past
form I did not see that either.

Great Blues (2), Great Egret (3) & Green Heron (4)
Turkey Vulture (1 soaring) & Kestrel (1, actually chased a Mourning
Dove maybe for fun)
Canada Goose (7 fly-bys), Mallard (10) plus Green (1) & Blue (5) Winged Teal
Killdeer (4) & Semipalmated Pover (1)
Spotted (2), Least (1) & Semipalmated (1) Sandpipers
Caspian Tern (1 still here although losing the black in it's head)
Mourning Dove (2)
Chimney Swift (2 fly-bys)

Indian Ridge Marsh (10:35-11:30 a.m.)

This is the area north of 122nd St & you cover it from the parking lot
on Torrence. I had never done this area using the new trails but
Andrew gave me the grand tour.

Great Blues (3) & Great Egret (5)
Mute Swan (2-AD & 2 young), Canada Goose (36) & Mallard (4)
Killdeer (14-16) & Semipalmated Plover (8 but Andrew saw more)
Lesser Yellowlegs (2), Solitary (3) & Semipalmated (3-4) Sandpipers
AMERICAN PIPIT (1 walking as only a Pipit can walk!)
Saw a Palm Warbler & an Eastern Phoebe & heard a House Wren & a Warbling Vireo.

Thanks go to Andrew for the tour & for finding the Pipit.
Thanks also go to Ethan G for finding the L.B. Dowitcher yesterday.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the Long Billed Dowitcher & Runner-Up to the American Pipit.

License Plate Of The Day to one from South Dakota seen while stuck in
traffic on the Dan Ryan.

Al Stokie
Doing the Dowitcher sewing machine motion & the Pipit strut in the
Lake Calumet area today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional