Date: 9/10/17 1:04 pm
From: Dave Compton <davcompton60...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Northern Waterthrush, etc.
This morning, I birded Eling's Park in Santa Barbara and Carpinteria Creek
in Carpinteria, with the only really notable bird being a Northern
Waterthrush at Carp Creek at 6th St. Three female-type Blue-winged Teal
were at the Carp Creek lagoon. Otherwise, there was a scattering of
migrants: Wilson's Warblers, Yellow Warblers, Orange-crowned Warblers,
Warbling Vireos, one or two Willow Flycatchers, and a Black-headed
Grosbeak. Anyone looking for the waterthrush at 6th St should know that
accessing the creek at this spot is difficult if you're afraid of poison
oak. But you probably can get in the creek, with boots, somewhere above 6th
St and walk down. Overall, habitat from 6th St upstream looks great. If you
put on your rubber boots and walk in the creek, you'll see stuff you won't
see from the bank. Also, vice versa.

Downstream of 6th St, things are less encouraging. Last year, I noticed
some dead willows with small holes on the trunks and branches. The dead
trees were confined to the west bank of the creek and limited to the area
along the sewage plant. More trees have died since then, and the area
affected seems to have grown, so that some trees farther upstream and on
the east side of the creek look in bad shape.

Earlier in the day, I birded Eling's Park. I was surprised to find
virtually no warblers anywhere in the expansive area of fennel at the top
of the hill. It's still early, though.

Dave Compton
Santa Barbara

Join us on Facebook!