Date: 9/10/17 9:24 am
From: Tim Spahr <tspahr44...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Nocturnal Flight Calls & migration
Hi Birders,

The last two nights have seen very impressive numbers of migrants evident
in radar images for the eastern United States. I also detected very large
numbers of migrants recording nocturnal flight calls (NFCs) from home in
Marlborough. In fact, the night of September 8/9 produced the best night
flight I have had here in years. In addition to large numbers of warblers,
I was able to confirm a Dickcissel and an Upland Sandpiper. This checklist
is here:

Note this checklist has samples (which I hope I have properly identified!)
of NFCs for various warblers.

I have also poked around locally in Westborough and Marlborough, and
surprisingly found relatively little evidence of migration! I can
postulate that under good conditions the birds fly at night and rest during
the day with minimal feeding and activity. Still, given the impressive
radar signature, I was very surprised to not detect much around these last
two days.

Good birding

Tim Spahr
Marlborough