Date: 9/10/17 8:49 am
From: Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bethany Barred Owl (Subtitle: Going hermentile)
I just have too many chores and no time to enjoy this second day of northerly-wind hawk weather, but did get out to the Bethany woods for 20 minutes or so.

Woods were breezy but totally quiet, no birds at all.  Suddenly, jays started screaming, chickadees and woodpeckers were calling like crazy, and the titmice well, went totally hermentile. I got a glimpse of a fleeing Barred owl during this eruption of avian belligerence.
I first heard the term hermentile from an ol' Navy Chief at the "Sound Lab" (Naval Underwater Systems Center, Fort Trumbull, New London, CT).   A source superior to Oxford - The Urban Dictionary - defines as " going crazy, raging, shouting and acting out of control."  A fitting term for the event that just occurred.

Steve MayoBethany