Date: 9/10/17 8:40 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wheaton Regional Park today 9/10
Hi all,

A good morning, but not a great morning (like yesterday was). A cool, rather strong NE breeze at first which fortunately did die down over time. Good numbers of migrants but definitely fewer with a somewhat different mix that yesterday. In all we had 13 species of warbler but no major rarities. Most of the activity was at the ridge near Shorefield and along Pine Lake. We went into Brookside through the north gate and found an active flock with four Baybreasts. Number of Empids way down, with a Least being the most interesting. Would expect tomorrow to be slower as is the usual situation after strong cold fronts. No idea what Irma is going to do to the weather next week.

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper,
Colesville, MD

52 species (+1 other taxa)
Birds of interest:

Wood Duck 5
Mallard 2
Double-crested Cormorant 6 Flyover flock in V formation
Green Heron 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Broad-winged Hawk 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker 12 - everywhere, this may be an undercount
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 4
Eastern Wood-Pewee 6
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) 1
Least Flycatcher 1
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) 2
Red-eyed Vireo 18
Blue Jay 25 Estimate
House Wren 4
Eastern Bluebird 2
American Robin 25 Estimate
Gray Catbird 12
Brown Thrasher 2 FOS
Ovenbird 1
Black-and-white Warbler 4
Tennessee Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 6
American Redstart 10
Northern Parula 1
Magnolia Warbler 12
Bay-breasted Warbler 6
Blackburnian Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 8
Blackpoll Warbler 2 FOS
Black-throated Blue Warbler 2 Females together
Black-throated Green Warbler 15
Canada Warbler 2
Chipping Sparrow 3
Eastern Towhee 1