Date: 9/10/17 8:16 am
From: <mkenne...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Union Slough NWR
It was very active at USNWR this morning- fewer shorebirds than
previously, but far more waterfowl, herons, coots, and swallows. At
least 4 Bald Eagles, 3 Harriers, and Peregrine were patrolling around B
Pool, making a mess of things every time I got settled into scanning the
crowds. The immature Peregrine was absolutely hating on one of the
Harriers for several minutes- along more than a quarter mile of
shoreline, the Harrier was harassed mercilessly like it was the
Peregrine's job. It literally flew rings around the Harrier at one
point! A single adult Black-bellied Plover stood out, a juv Red-necked
Phalarope weaved throughout a working flock of Greater Yellowlegs, and I
managed to get a count of 5 Buff-breasted Sandpipers at one point before
everything blew up (again!). I think the auto tour route is still open
throughout this week, but it's best to check before making a long drive.

Matthew Kenne

Algona, Iowa