Date: 9/9/17 8:51 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (09 Sep 2017) 29 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 29 114 123

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Chad Hutchinson, Mike Hartshorne

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Rand McIlvaine, Chad Hutchinson, Mike Hartshorne, Lauren
Diamond, John Wagner, Puff Busch.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10-50% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 58 - 71F, Winds North @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and
Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-5
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Diamonds ARE This Girl’s Best Friend!”---

Some warbler species were back around the Hawk Watch today…2-Black-throated
Green Warblers, a Black-throated Blue Warbler, Tennessee Warbler,
Chestnut-sided Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, American Redstart, Bay-breasted
Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, and Canada Warbler, among them. (MH, CH,
LD)

Mike brought “his better half,” Lauren, then made the weighty decision to
break my chair. Hey Mike, it’s not hard for you to bring your better half.
All you need to be is with somebody else…anybody else!! Lol

And don’t you have to be a little bit leery of dating a girl with the last
name “Diamond,” there Mike? Could get expensive, couldn’t it?? “I already
told him I’m not taking the last name ‘Hartshorne!’” added Lauren. “I
won’t change my last name unless it’s to marry a Galaxy or Platinum.”

Hey Mike…it could be worse. Her name could have been Lauren Emerald.
Would that TRUMP that??

Full-parial credit there Mike for that first year Bald Eagle you turned up.
Nice try bribing off Ms. Diamond with one for her, too. Not going to
happen, Buddy! And nice try with the ole “Hey Lauren, nice flannel”
bribe/ploy – that too…not gonna work, Mike. Gonna have to come with the
hardware for this gal!

They enjoyed some of my coffee – not an easy thing to do. “I like all
coffee.” Says Mike. “I like it black, if it’s good.”
I reached for the cream and sugar for Mike.

The future impoverished Mike had to leave, dragging the lovely Ms. Diamond
along. I’m guessing… likely to find Mike higher paying employment. Mike
left the site having only partially decimating it. Better luck next
time…Mike! We can survive the loss of one chair…pull up some grass next
time! Shortly after leaving, a Raven called off to our southwest. Mike
displaying impeccable timing, I figure. He’s a keeper there, Lauren!!!
Lol Later, a group of Broad-winged Hawks came through. Oh, I just can’t
wait!

After my time here at Bucktoe today, I led my first “Walk with Nature”™
Program with Ace Hardware that I recently established. It was successful
with a nice turnout of birders along the Brandywine River. We saw Spotted
Sandpiper and Solitary Sandpiper, as well as Parula and Chestnut-sided
Warblers.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-COMMON RAVEN, 1-Tennessee Warbler, 1-Chetnut-sided Warbler, 1-Magnolia
Warbler, 1-Black-throated Blue Warbler, 2-Black-throated Green Warbler,
1-Blackburnian Warbler, 1-Bay-breasted Warbler, 1-American Redstart,
1-Canada Warbler, 3-Blue Grosbeak, 15-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (12): Monarch - 12, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner,
Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern
Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.64; Steps: 13,220; Floors: 29.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 55; this season: 95
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like much more of the same with light northerly
winds.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE LAND

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):