Date: 9/9/17 8:38 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] 70,000 Barn Swallows
I went out this evening to Grand Island south of Dayton to look for the
annual BARM SWALLOW roost. Sundown was 7:30. The evening was misty, but the
sunset was glorious. I arrived about 7:00 and found birds milling in the
air. They concentrated about sundown and settled into their chosen
cornfield by 7:45.

The cornfield they are using now is located in the bottom land below Heiser
Farms, here. 45.134809,-123.020979

You can park here on Lower Grand Island Loop and walk across the road to
look down into the area. 45.129333,-123.020384

Do not walk down the farm lane into the cornfield.

I saw a swarm of 70,000 bird in the air above the field before they settled.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan

McMinnville

Join us on Facebook!