Date: 9/9/17 6:22 pm
From: Vinod Babu <pavinodbabu...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Kennesaw Mountain, Cobb Co., 9th Sep.- 9 warbler species, Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Hi all,

Gus Kaufman, Malcolm Hodges, Susan Talburt and I birded Kennesaw this
morning and we were amazed to see nine warbler species, including:

Tennessee Warbler 1

Hooded Warbler 2

American Redstart 2

Magnolia Warbler 2

Blackburnian Warbler 3

Chestnut-sided Warbler 1

Pine Warbler 2

Prairie Warbler 1

Black-throated Green Warbler 1

There were two big mixed-species flocks we encountered, one at the pasture
near the parking lot, and another on the 'Big Mountain Hike' leading from
the very top of the mountain to the point where it intersects the paved
road going up the mountain. Often you don't see much on this trail except
vireos and tanagers but today we got a number of warblers. Other highlights
were rose-breasted grosbeak flyovers and a few red-tailed hawks kiting on
the updraft that goes up the mountain. There are still a lot of begging
juveniles of various species.

American Persimmon, Fox Grapes, Muscadines, Sugarberry, Virginia Creeper
are all approaching high season and always present good opportunities for
observing feeding birds. Chestnut Oak acorns are almost constantly falling
around you. I think fall is nearly here!

Here's the checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39082052

Thanks

Vinod Babu, Atlanta.

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>