Date: 9/9/17 5:47 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Ankeny NWR Scouting Trip Report
*SAS Ankeny NWR Scouting Trip Report*

Hello all -

Fred, Kay and I scouted Ankeny NWR in preparation for our Salem Audubon
field trip on *Saturday, September 16th at 7:00 a.m.* The three of us
covered six locations around the refuge including Eagle Marsh Overlook and
Pintail Marsh. Eagle Marsh is still dry but rumor has it that some water
may be added to the marsh in mid to late September. It was cloudy but
turned sunny toward the end of the field trip. The temperature ranged from
63 to 68 degrees. The most activity was at Pintail Marsh but the overall
shorebird activity seems slow. During the scouting trip we identified 43
species.

Most notable observations included:

- We saw a very cooperative *Green Heron* at Pintail Marsh. We got
good looks at it several times but one time it was really out in the open
which was nice;

- We also saw a single *Wilson’s Snipe* at Pintail Marsh that was
somewhat hidden in the grasses but was easily identifiable;

- As far as raptors go we saw *Turkey Vultures* (8), *Red-tailed
Hawks* (3), *American Kestrels* (3) and one *Northern Harrier*. No Bald
Eagles or Peregrine Falcons were observed;

- We saw seven (7) duck species during the trip including *American
Wigeon*, *Mallard*, *Northern Pintail*, *Green-winged Teal*, *Cinnamon Teal*,
*Wood Duck *and *Ruddy Duck. *All of the ducks were seen at Pintail Marsh;

- Shorebirds seen included Least and Western Sandpipers, Killdeer
and Greater Yellowlegs;

- There were lots of *American Goldfinches* with a few *Lesser
Goldfinches* sprinkled in among them. Other species included quite a few *Barn
Swallows* and *Violet-green Swallows*. Most of the Barn Swallows were over
the water at Pintail Marsh while the Violet-green Swallows were seen on the
telephone wires across from Pintail Marsh.

A complete list of today's birds follows. Our next SAS field trip will be
at Ankeny NWR on *Saturday, September 16th at 7:00 a.m.* Meet at the
Overlook off of Ankeny Hill Road. The next SAS Shorts is at Cascades
Gateway Park on *Monday*, *September 25th* at *9:00 a.m.* Meet at the
parking lot. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Checklist Summary for September 9, 2017*

Number of Checklists: 6

Number of Species: 44

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Ankeny NWR--Ankeny Hill Overlook @ 6:58 AM

(2): Ankeny NWR--2nd pullout on right side of Buena Vista Rd. @ 7:22 AM
(3): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh @ 7:30 AM
(4): Ankeny NWR--Pullout on just before RR tracks on Buena Vista Rd. @ 7:47
AM

(5): Ankeny NWR—Wintel Rd S between Buena Vista Rd. & Pintail Marsh @ 7:58
AM
(6): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 8:02 AM

42 Canada Goose -- (3),(6)
2 Wood Duck -- (6)
2 Cinnamon Teal -- (6)
6 American Wigeon -- (6)
50 Mallard -- (6)
3 Northern Pintail -- (6)
11 Green-winged Teal -- (6)

2 Ruddy Duck – (6)
14 Pied-billed Grebe -- (6)
1 American Bittern -- (6)
3 Great Blue Heron -- (3),(6)
1 Green Heron -- (6)
8 Turkey Vulture -- (2),(6)
1 Northern Harrier -- (6)
3 Red-tailed Hawk -- (1),(4)
3 Killdeer -- (6)
9 Least Sandpiper -- (6)
4 Western Sandpiper -- (6)
1 Wilson's Snipe -- (6)
5 Greater Yellowlegs -- (6)
2 Eurasian Collared-Dove -- (1),(5)
1 Mourning Dove -- (1)
1 Belted Kingfisher -- (6)
1 Downy Woodpecker -- (6)
1 Northern Flicker -- (6)
3 American Kestrel -- (3),(5),(6)
1 Black Phoebe -- (6)
10 California Scrub-Jay -- (1),(2),(4),(6)
2 American Crow -- (4)
50 Violet-green Swallow -- (6)
72 Barn Swallow -- (1),(2),(5),(6)
6 Black-capped Chickadee -- (1),(2),(6)
2 Marsh Wren -- (6)
2 Bewick's Wren -- (6)
2 American Robin -- (5)
16 European Starling -- (1),(3),(4)
8 Common Yellowthroat -- (1),(4),(6)
5 Savannah Sparrow -- (2),(6)
8 Song Sparrow -- (2),(5),(6)
1 Spotted Towhee -- (2)
15 Red-winged Blackbird -- (6)
20 Brewer's Blackbird -- (5)
4 Lesser Goldfinch -- (6)
46 American Goldfinch -- (1),(2),(3),(6)

Join us on Facebook!