Date: 9/9/17 2:57 pm
From: Preston Lust via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Westport Yard Nocturnal Migrants 9/8-9/17
9/8-9/17, 9:00 PM-6:00 AM -- Yard Westport

I mistakenly thought that the night of 9/7-8/17 would be difficult for the nocturnal flight call station to top for years to come. Indeed, last night/this morning's recording session yielded a total of 2,435 calls and 22 species – the highlights of which include: 22 veery, a significant push of 48 SWAINSON'S THRUSHES, 3 gray-cheeked thrushes, 1 MOURNING WARBLER, 30 CAPE MAY WARBLERS (truly unprecedented, and probably an excessively conservative estimate derived from 169 calls), 1 WILSON'S WARBLER, 40 northern parulas, 491 WARBLER SP. (1252 calls!!!), 21 ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK (my highest count so far), and 3 DICKCISSEL. I have never had such a productive night – and find it especially remarkable considering the station's geography as nothing especially unique. The eBird checklist is attached: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39092222

Preston Lust, Westport