Date: 9/9/17 2:47 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Lakefront (9-Sep-2017) Warbs & Little Gull
Today (9-Sep-2017) John Cassady, Lynea Hinchman, Jeff McCoy, Lynn Vernon, and I birded the Indiana lakefront.

We began with an unsuccessful effort for yesterday’s Little Gull at Michigan City Harbor and then headed for the traps, which proved about average for this time of year. We logged 14 warbler species (including Golden-winged) and a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. At lunch Jeff received a message from Kevin Cornell that the juvenile Little Gull was on the lake at Central Avenue Beach (located just west of Mt. Baldy). While we were enroute the bird flew eastward, so we headed for Michigan City Harbor. After a two-hour watch at the harbor we again tried Central Ave Beach and nailed the bird in 8 seconds. The perfect way to end a fine birding day.

—MICHIGAN CITY HARBOR
Double-crested Cormorant,24
Sanderling,13 juvs
Semipalmated Sandpiper,2 juv
Herring Gull,190
Kelp x Herring Gull hybrid,1 continuing adult
Common Tern,2 juvs
Forster’s Tern,1 juv
Barn Swallow,9

—GARY (From I-90) Wild Turkey,2

—HAMMOND (From I-90)
Great Egret,2
Green Heron,1
Belted Kingfisher,1
American Kestrel,1

—FORSYTHE PARK & ADJACENT WOLF LAKE
Pied-billed Grebe,2 adults
Great Blue Heron,4
Great Egret,2
Snowy Egret,1
Cooper’s Hawk,1 juv
Red-tailed Hawk,1
Semipalmated Sandpiper,12 juvs
Killdeer,6
Greater Yellowlegs,2
Lesser Yellowlegs,1
Least Sandpiper,1 juv
Semipalmated Sandpiper,4 juv
Caspian Tern,4
Chimney Swift,15
Barn Swallow15
Swainson’s Thrush,1
American Redstart,15 IMFs
Cape May Warbler,3
Northern Parula,1 first-cycle fem
Magnolia Warbler,1
Bay-breasted Warbler,1 IMF & 1st fem
Chestnut-sided Warbler,1
Blackpoll Warbler,16
Yellow-rumped Warbler,1
Wilson’s Warbler,1 fem

—HAMMOND SANCTUARY (met Steve Bell, Bob Huguenard, Carolyn Marsh, Kristin Stratton, and Michael Topp)
Double-crested Cormorant,45
Red-tailed Hawk,1
Downy Woodpecker,2
Eastern Wood-Pewee,2 juvs
Eastern Phoebe,3 juvs
Red-eyed Vireo,1
Red-breasted Nuthatch,1
Gray-cheeked Thrush,1
Swainson’s Thrush,9
Wood Thrush,1
Gray Catbird,4
Golden-winged Warbler,1 fem
Black-and-white Warbler,1 fem
American Redstart,5 IMFs
Cape May Warbler,1 first-cycle fem
Northern Parula,2 first-cycle fem & IMF
Magnolia Warbler,1 IMF
Blackpoll Warbler,5
Black-throated Blue Warbler,1 first-cycle fem
Palm Warbler,4
Dark-eyed Junco,1- ties lakefront’s 9th earliest record
Indigo Bunting,1

—WHITING PARK
Cooper’s Hawk,1 juv
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher,1
Red-breasted Nuthatch,2
American Redstart,1 IMF
Black-throated Green Warbler,1 singing! First-cycle male

—CENTRAL AVENUE BEACH (with Allee Forsberg, Kevin Cornell, Matthew Bowman, & ____?)
Bonaparte’s Gull,1 juv
Little Gull,1 juv in mint plumage- Thanks to Allee & Kevin

Ken Brock
Chesterton

Join us on Facebook!