Date: 9/9/17 2:29 pm
From: Michael Baird <rkramden1994...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Migrants at Lowell Cemetery Saturday 99
Nice day to be out birding.
Mike Baird
Lowell, MA
rkramden 1994 (at) g mail dot com

Lowell Cemetery, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
Sep 9, 2017 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: I birded the Lowell Cemetery's western edge from the Knapp
St. gate to the columbarium focusing on the mature trees as that seems to
be where the birds were hanging out (the "brush dump" areas are still off
limits, please respect the keep out signs). The weather was gorgeous but
the breeze made things a challenge with trees still leafed out. There were
some nice migrants visible between the waving leaves and I have to admit,
fall birding has its merits. Everything seems a little more relaxed. While
you don't get the bright colors or song of spring, you also don't have to
be out at the crack of dawn to catch the "good stuff." The birds seems
content to meander allowing a slower pace and more opportunities for decent
views as they aren't heading north like they were shot out of a cannon. Is
there really a bad time to see a bird? Nah.
21 species

Mourning Dove 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 5
Black-capped Chickadee 6
Tufted Titmouse 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
House Wren 1
Black-and-white Warbler 1
American Redstart 3
Cape May Warbler 1
Northern Parula 2
Magnolia Warbler 1
Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Chipping Sparrow 30 Whatever "perfect conditions" for Chipping Sparrow
reproduction are, they were met in the cemetery this year. These birds were
literally everywhere and 30 is a gross under count. They were moving around
too much to get anything more accurate.
Common Grackle 1
American Goldfinch 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/