Date: 9/9/17 2:17 pm
From: Geoff Malosh <pomarine...>
Subject: Migration - Allegheny
With ideal conditions for nocturnal migration last night -- the first such
night in about six days, which just makes it better -- I heard a massive and
wonderful movement of nocturnal migrants over my house in western Allegheny
County in the early morning hours today between astronomical and civil
twilights. Hundreds of Swainson's Thrush and many Wood Thrush led the way in
terms of numbers, and the first few Gray-cheeked Thrush of the season were
also heard (though I have not yet analyzed recordings from 9/7). Literally
hundreds of high frequency calls (mostly zeeps) were also heard, and among
these I was able to recognize several of the more distinct warbler flight
calls, including a handful of Mourning and at least two Canada, as well as
Cape Mays, Ovenbird, and Redstart. It was also yet another impressive flight
of Scarlet Tanager, and this has easily been the best fall for them here
that I have had. On August 25 I posted about tallying a record-high 89
tanager calls that night, a record that as it turned out stood for only a
week, bested by a count of 149 on the overnight of Sept 1. It is going to
take a while to go through all the results from last night (midnight to
civil twilight) but I am expecting four-digits worth of Swainson's Thrush
and possibly another record for Scarlet Tanager.

Sewickley Park this morning was not quite as good as I expected considering
the volume of migrants last night, but it was still a nice morning: 46
species total and 12 warblers, highlighted by Broad-winged Hawk,
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Swainson's Thrush (surprisingly, just one),
several each of Chestnut-sided and Magnolia Warbler, at least 2 Bay-breasted
Warbler, Blackpoll Warblers, Blue-winged Warbler (rare in the park,
especially in fall), Cape May Warbler, and at least 8 Scarlet Tanagers. It's
been a good fall in the park so far; I've made five visits since 8/26 and
have gotten at least 10 warbler species each time (17 total for season).
Vireos, aside from Red-eyed, have been rather hard to come by, as have
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, for some reason. Plenty of flycatchers have been
around, including a Great Crested (rare here in fall after late Aug) on Sept
4.

Good birding,
Geoff

Geoff Malosh