Date: 9/9/17 2:05 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South, State Line Beach & Both Techny's Saturday 9-9-17
Hello Bird People,

Covered the 3 N.E. Lake Co locations with Bob Erickson & then on the
way home I did both Techny's by myself. Only had 6 shorebird species &
it was hard work to get that many. Not many birds on my lists for
today.

Waukegan Beach (6:20-7:10 a.m.)

Waves crashing over the pier & the walkway to get to the pier. Had to
find another pathway in.

Mallard (5 in backwaters)
Sanderling (groups of 13, 33 & 12 for a total of 58) (No other shorebirds)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls (no counts)
Starling (at least 50 on the swimming beach & by the parking lot)
Mourning Dove (2 on Sea Horse Drive)

Illinois Beach South Unit (7:30-8:45 a.m.)

Hard to walk the beach with waves covering parts of it.

D.C. Cormorant (3 fly-bys)
MERLIN (1 on the way to the river)
PEREGRINE (1 on the way back)
Killdeer (2 by the river mouth)
Sanderling (8) & Ruddy Turnstone (1 fly-by)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls (no counts)
RUBY THROATED HUMMER (1 flying south along the beach)

State Line Beach (9:05-9:15 a.m.)

Sanderling (only 1)
Ring Billed (~100) & Herring (~80) Gulls
(1st time there were so many Herring Gulls here this Fall)

Techny Basin North (11-11:45 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (4), Great Blue (3) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (4), Wood Duck (24) & Mallard (10)
Red Tailed Hawk (2) & Kestrel (1-M)
Killdeer (an amazing drop to only 2) & Ring Billed Gull (1)
Barn Swallows (a few)

Techny Basin South (11:55 a.m.-12:45 p.m.)

Great Blues (5) & Great Egret (also 5)
Canada Goose (13) & Mallard (62)
Killdeer (10) & Semipalmated Plover (1)
Solitary (8) & Least (1) Sandpipers
Red Tailed Hawk (1) & Ring Billed Gull (1)
Barn Swallows & 1 remaining Eastern Kingbird

Birds-Of-The-Day to both the Peregrine & the Merlin at IBSP South.
Making it an all Falcon day Runner-Up goes to the Kestrel at Techny.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Vermont seen on Willow Road.
That's #47 for my 2nd 1/2 year run leaving me with 4 to go to finish.

Al Stokie
In Lake & Cook Co's today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: