Date: 9/9/17 1:21 pm
From: Ethan Gyllenhaal <ethannatureboy...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Hegewisch Marsh Long-billed Dowitcher, Park 566 lakewatch (Cook County)
Hey all,

I just got done looking at a juvenile Long-billed Dowitcher (a county bird for me, #303ish) in the NW quadrant of the main open area at Hegewisch Marsh. It was viewed from the standard viewing spot, the raised open area on the SW side of the main marsh. Also present were 3 Stilt Sandpipers, 1 Short-billed Dowitcher (also juvenile), a smattering of common shorebirds, and the continuing family of 5 Common Gallinules.

List: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39087978

The rest of Calumet wasn't amazing. Burnham marsh had a Sanderling and Least Bittern (by my dad, it flew before I got there). Big, Indian Ridge, and 126th street marshes were all dead.

I started the morning with a lakewatch off of Park 566, in hopes of abusing the lovely E winds we're getting. Highlights were a Black Tern feeding off the spot I was watching from for the full 3 hours I was there and a distant jaeger sp. On my walk over, I had one each of lingering Grasshopper Sparrow, Dickcissel, and Bobolink. The harbor off of Rainbow Beach had 2 long-staying Red-breasted Mergs and a small coot flock.

More exciting than all of that, though, was a stunning baby Five-lined Skink near the road where Park 566 meets a fence along the border of Rainbow Beach.

List: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39081022

Ethan and Eric Gyllenhaal
Oak Park, IL
Cook County

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by: Ethan Gyllenhaal <ethannatureboy...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)