Date: 9/9/17 9:56 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (08 Sep 2017) 6 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 6 85 94

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carl Mease, Evelyn Fowles, Mike Fowles

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Carl Mease, Mike & Evelyn Fowles, Lorrie Sherron.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10-70% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000-18,200 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 59 - 72F, Winds West @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (50) and
Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Come Back, We Hardly Knew Ye”---

Mike & Evelyn were there at the Hawk Watch bright and early this morning -
in fact, beating me there. They had a warbler walk in mind, as did I. Off
we went and right away, there was a difference. The background chip notes
of fall warblers was missing. The occasional flitting from tree to tree –
that was absent. Where there had been abundant activity for well-over a
week, there was none. As warbler walks go, it was great exercise! For the
first time in many days, there were no Olive-sided Flycatchers, either.
Sure, it had been great weather overnight for the birds to migrate out.
BUT doesn’t that mean it was great weather for birds from further north –
of which there are many yet to come - to migrate in? I always wonder that.
How does that happen? Don’t birds to our north encounter the same and
move in here? Well, not today, they didn’t! Not one migrant warbler was
encountered. Sorry guys…I still love you. You are amazingly sweet.
Back at “The Watch,” we in short order saw an adult Bald Eagle, an Osprey,
and our first migrant Sharp-shinned Hawk for the fall. Sadly, Carl tried
to extort a second “congratulatory pretzel” for being the first to see
“his” Osprey, but I award them only when richly deserved…and ONLY ONE! I
know they are good Carl, but share!
Conversation somehow turned to our “virtual world.” I know not how…it’s
not my favorite topic. It brought to mind on a trip to weekend tour to
Cape May I led one year. While there, we encountered an amazing close
flock of Skimmers resting on the beach. I was excited to show the Skimmers
to our tour participants, as well as passersby on the boardwalk. One
gentleman resting on a bench even asked what the commotion was about.
“Incredible and beautiful flock of Black Skimmers, right here. Some are
feeding in the scope. Come look!” I exclaimed. The man had a notion to
stir…put it aside.
“No, I’ll just look at them on the internet.”
Can you believe it? Me neither! Carl agreed, likely fearing the future.
Hmmm… I wonder how he’ll feel when people start bringing their “virtual
dogs” to his veterinary practice. Perhaps he’ll give them a “virtual exam”
and make sure they’re up to date with their virtual shots….you know, for
their virtual viruses. I can’t imagine where we’re heading… A mid-day
Nighthawk swept by to the delight of us all. Conversation then switched
off virtual birding (and dogs) to mis-placed (dubbed) birds in tv shows and
movies. Amazing how the idle brain functions….quick, we need a kettle of
Broad-wings, for mental focus, if for no other reason!

Lorrie arrived, reporting Redstarts, Magnolia Warbler and Chestnut-sided
Warblers in her Hockessin back yard (LS). A couple of distant Broad-winged
Hawks caused our spirits to soar, but was only a glimpse of what is to
come.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Great Blue Heron, 1-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 4-Blue Grosbeak, 30-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (12): Monarch - 10, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner,
Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern
Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.79; Steps: 20,619; Floors:
47.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 46; this season: 95
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Sharp-shinned Hawk.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks GREAT!! You know what that means!<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE LAND

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):