Date: 9/9/17 9:54 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Major flight today at Wheaton Regional Park 9/9
Hi all,

After the report from Cape May we hoped that there would be some "trickle-down" to us, and there was. Not thousands but over a hundred warblers of which at least 50 came through very early and disappeared high into the trees. Also a good flight of Empids and vireos. We personally recorded 15 warbler species with double digits of Tennessees, Redstarts, BT Greens, Magnolias, Chestnuts, and Bay-breasteds. Best was probably a female Cerulean seen early. Lots of Red-eyed Vireos and two Warbling, one of which was singing constantly. Heard but did not see three Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and a Barred Owl. Empids included two bright Yellow-bellied in widely separated locations, and two which we ID'd as Alder based on our recent study of this species in Maine. Quite an exceptional day although it did quiet down fairly quickly after 10 am. We paid a brief visit to the old bridge at Kemp Mill and added a few warblers there but nothing new.

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville, MD

Comments: Major flight today, northerly wind, sunny, cool at first.
60 species (+3 other taxa)

Wood Duck 5
Barred Owl (Northern) 1 Heard only
Chimney Swift 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 4
Hairy Woodpecker (Eastern) 1
Northern Flicker 5
Eastern Wood-Pewee 4
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 2
Acadian Flycatcher 1
Alder Flycatcher 2
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) 4
Empidonax sp. 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) 2
Red-eyed Vireo 18
Blue Jay 25 Estimate, flyovers all morning
Tree Swallow 2
Barn Swallow (American) 4
House Wren (Northern) 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
Eastern Bluebird 6
Wood Thrush 1
American Robin 45 Flyovers and others feeding on lawns
Gray Catbird 10
Cedar Waxwing 20 Estimate, flyover flock
Northern Waterthrush 1
Black-and-white Warbler 5
Tennessee Warbler 15 High number but an obvious major flight in area, e.g. many seen at Rock Creek today as well.
Nashville Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 6
American Redstart 15
Cape May Warbler 1
Cerulean Warbler 1 Female, first autumn.
Northern Parula 1
Magnolia Warbler 18
Bay-breasted Warbler 10 Again, a major passage of this species through area today, e.g. at Rock Creek. Had one flock of 6 at eye level near parking lot.
Blackburnian Warbler 6
Chestnut-sided Warbler 12
Black-throated Green Warbler 15
Canada Warbler 3
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.) 50 Many early flyovers high in trees
Chipping Sparrow 20 Estimate
Eastern Towhee 2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 3
Baltimore Oriole 3