Date: 9/9/17 9:29 am
From: John Sullivan <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender Oropendolas for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] FRR Possible Clay-colored Sparrow
Hello All,

Yesterday afternoon Sally Hill and I saw a Sparrow feeding with a flock of Goldfinch on Royal Ave that we originally called a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW. We were looking through scopes from about 40 yards. We then saw what we thought was the same bird in the brush beside the road that turned out to be a winter CHIPPING SPARROW. Grayish breast and gray rump (rump not shown in photos) and dark lores led to Chipping ID conclusion. Looking at my photos this morning, I believe we saw two different birds. Brighter white supercillium, malar stripe and central crown stripe along with browner breast make me think the bird on the ground is actually a Clay-colored Sparrow. Three poor, heavily cropped photos of Spizella sp. in eBird report are all the same bird. What do you think?

John Sullivan
Springfield, OR

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad