Date: 9/9/17 8:50 am
From: Gina Nichol via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] 9/8 -- West Haven, Sandy Point - Baird's Sandpipers, American Pipit, Pied-billed Grebe
A somewhat quiet but very nice morning at Sandy Point. I first spotted the
Pied-billed Grebe from the viewing platform in the parking lot. It was way out
in the lagoon (very low water). When I walked out to try and photograph it, it
had vanished. By the time I got back to the viewing platform, there is was
again in the same spot! A Peregrine was harassing the gulls which was fun to
watch. And, there were 2 nice looking Baird's Sandpipers out on the beach. Not
too many other shorebirds though. Ebird list below.
Gina Nichol
Branford, CT

Sandy Point, New Haven, Connecticut, US
Sep 9, 2017 8:45 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
Comments: Walking out the lagoon trail, crossing over the Morse Point and
back along the beach.
26 species

Mute Swan 2
Pied-billed Grebe 1 In the lagoon, seen from the platform in the parking
lot.
Double-crested Cormorant 20
Great Blue Heron 1
Great Egret 5
Snowy Egret 4
Osprey 2
Cooper's Hawk 1
Clapper Rail 1
Semipalmated Plover 18
Sanderling 1
Baird's Sandpiper 2
Laughing Gull 8
Ring-billed Gull 28
Herring Gull 5
Mourning Dove 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Peregrine Falcon 1
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 60
American Pipit 1
Field Sparrow 2
Northern Cardinal 2
House Finch 4
American Goldfinch 2
House Sparrow 7

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39080333
Gina Beebe Nichol
Sunrise Birding LLC
Worldwide Bird Watching Tours & Wildlife Safaris
PO Box 274, Cos Cob, CT 06807
<gina...>
www.sunrisebirding.com
USA 203.453.6724