Date: 9/9/17 8:45 am
From: 'David Povey' <dpovey...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] San Diego portion of Searcher five day pelagic
This is the report for the San Diego County portions of the Searcher five
day birding pelagic trip. The San Diego portions are brief

at both the began Monday Sept. 4th ( about 6 hrs. ) and the end on Friday,
Sept. 8th. ( about 2 hrs. ).

The majority of this trip lies in L.A., Ventura, and Santa Barbara Counties

We got away from the dock a little early with Gary Nunn's report of a
frigatebird at the San Diego Bay bait docks.

We arrived to find two MAGNIFICENT FRATEBIRDS soaring just north of the bait
docks. We had

a great show, with an adult male and female right over our heads. Thank you
Gary ( and Lydia )!! I think that is some kind of a

first for organized birding pelagic trips out of San Diego, to chase and
see a reported species, and to get Magnificent

Frigatebirds.

Some of the San Diego species from offshore Monday Sept. 4, 2017;

Pink-footed Shearwater 35

Black-vented Shearwater 150

Leach's Storm-Petrel 1

Ashy Storm-Petrel 1

Black Storm-Petrel 45

Brown Booby 2

Red Phalarope 8

Red-necked Phalarope 5

Pomarine Jaeger 1

Parasitic Jaeger 2

CRAVERI'S MURRELET 2

Sabine's Gull 1

Black Tern 14

Common Tern 2

Elegant Tern 11

Some of the species from San Diego waters Friday Sept. 8, 2017;

Pink-footed Shearwater 8

Sooty Shearwater 1

Black-vented Shearwater 250

Leach's Storm-Petrel 3

Black Storm-Petrel 15

LEAST STORM-PETREL 3

Red-necked Phalarope 2

Cassin's Auklet 9

Common Tern 35

Elegant Tern 4

Great trip, much better stuff further offshore. Check future postings to the
Searcher Natural History tours website.

Dave Povey

Dulzura

Join us on Facebook!