Date: 9/9/17 5:13 am
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Townsend's Solitaires in downtown Portland
Hi Nathaniel & All,

A Townsend's Solitaire, described by the observer as very worn and
"tired-looking," visited a backyard water feature in Corvallis on July
29th.

Solitaires nest very sparsely in the central section of the Oregon Coast
Range from Marys Peak north to Laurel Peak (west of Falls City), usually
found around clearcuts. In addition, I once encountered one during
breeding season in a similar situation in the Western Cascades, near
Snow Peak on the Linn County side.

We also usually get a few transients at lower elevations in the
mid-Willamette Valley, in April/May and less often in early fall.

However having one on the valley floor in late July was unusual. The
observer speculated that it might have been displaced by fires in the
Santiam Pass area (which were already going at that time), and I tend to
agree.

Joel

--
Joel Geier