Date: 9/8/17 6:44 pm
From: Paul Griffin <pgriffin1...>
Subject: Special Hummingbird in Oak Park
Hi Folks,

Had about half a dozen plus, hummers in Oak Park this afternoon. One of the hummers got my attention. It was being chased around, and I noted it had a short tail, I suspected a possible Calliope. At about fifty feet, sitting still in a tree, I was able to zoom in and get a better look, and take some pictures and some video. Looking thru the camera lens, I noted the hummer probably wasn’t a Calliope. But, it was a interesting mystery and I was hoping I could solve it when I got home and could look closer at the pictures. Well, I did get a closer look and I did solve the mystery. I was lucky. I easily saw the tail was short, and the wing was long. The hummer showed it’s wing was as long as it’s tail. That feature is special for hummingbirds found in Oak Park. Then I noted, I had a excellent back lighted pictures of it’s wing feather shapes at the end of the feathers. That was a diagnostic event because, I easily noted the feathers were that of female Black-chinned hummingbird, which has very special feathers shapes, much different than it’s cousin the Ruby-throated hummingbird. Also, the Ruby-throateds wing is shorter than it’s tail. Along with the bill shape, the head shape and it’s markings, also with the dingy color of the breast, I’m positive it was a female Black-chinned hummingbird. Similar, to one I found in Oak Park a couple of years ago. Black-chinned hummingbirds are rare in Kansas.

I did see my first Warbler in Oak Park this fall. It was a Wilson’s.

Happy Birding,

Paul Griffin
https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to