Date: 9/8/17 6:03 pm
From: Sheila Willis <swjxw1...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Swift Night Out results for 9/8, Waycross, WARE; poss. changes
Hey folks,

Hope you are fine.

Here is an update on the 9/8 Swift Night Out count of CHIMNEY SWIFTs coming
to their roost in the Magnolia Apartments in Waycross, WARE. This location
is ne. of First Presbyterian Church (Ava St. at Hill) & e. of
USHwy#84/Plant Ave. The chimney is on the sw. side of the building. This
roost has been used since at least the 1950's & prob. earlier. I believe it
is the largest CHIMNEY SWIFT roost in GA.

Weather taken at the start was Clear sky; minimal breeze from the Southeast
(up to 5 mph by end); 78 degrees F; Humidity 55%.

There were a few birds flying around when I arrived at 7:22 p.m. and slowly
some groups began to form but fly in mixed formation. Not chattering & a
few flew low over the chimney.

At 7:41 p.m. the first bird dropped into the roost site. Individuals &
small groups of less than 10 would periodically drop in. At 7:50 p.m. a
large group flew in from the south & 20 birds went to roost. It was
starting to get duskish but more clusters of groups began dropping. They
made at least 1 counterclockwise large circle to the near southwest at 7:54
p.m.

At 7:58 p.m. they were coming in fast & I quickly counted up to 80
entering. From then on, they were very active in chattering & dropping fast
into the chimney. Between 8:03 & 8:05 p.m. a total of 725 had flooded the
site during that segment alone.

It began to be noticeably darker but the birds were still circling &
dropping. Slowly the number of birds decreased. The last bird went to bed
at 8:07 p.m. I watched until 8:10 p.m. but no more arrived.

The grand total was 1,934 birds!! This is down from previous years, but I
am glad that we are still getting a respectable amount. For us, we
typically get more during the next week. However, this active hurricane
season will surely make a difference. Let's wish them well & safe travels
south!! Life's cycles will continue.

Sat. & Sun. are the next & last days for the Swift Night Out survey and I
had originally planned to do them both as usual as long as the weather will
cooperate. However, late Fri. I learned that I will have unexpected company
over Sat. and am not sure of their time. Sunday might be raining. I will
give it a try if at all possible, but I may have to cancel myself. Others
are still welcome to try on those nights as well as later. I will probably
do a later one myself too.

Take care.

Sincerely,
Sheila Willis
Native American-Naturalist Talks & Tours
Okefenokee Bird Club
Waycross, WARE, GA

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>