Date: 9/8/17 4:50 pm
From: Douglas Harr <dnharr...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Boone Co. "Prairie Tanager"
I was having coffee on our back deck early this morning & looked up at the
top spire of a spruce tree in our yard, where virtually every resident or
migrating species likes to perch in the morning sun (I like to call it our
"bird throne"). At first glance it appeared goldfinch-like, except much
larger and with no wingbars. I grabbed the binoculars I always have with
me during coffee, and with a close look it was obviously an adult male *Scarlet
Tanager* already in winter plumage.

Ogden is a small open prairie town two miles from the nearest forest along
the Des Moines River, so I've never seen a SCTA here in town before. But
it was sure nice to add this "prairie tanager" to our yard list!

Doug Harr
Ogden, IA