Date: 9/8/17 3:47 pm
From: Susan Smith <seiurus...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Point Loma residential---Silvergate area -- Sep 08, 2017

This morning for a couple of hours, I birded along Silvergate Ave and adjacent streets in the Point LOma neighborhood. The most interesting bird I had was one I heard but never saw, and hope others will be on the look out ( or listen out) in the area if they plan to bird there this weekend. I heard what sounded like Grey Catbird mewings and also a couple of chwut calls, from the yard behind the tall cream-colored fence along the west side of Silvergate , near where it intersects the alleyway that is between Pio Pico and Dupont. I could not get a visual to confirm, and it soon stopped calling after a Red-shouldered Hawk flew by and freaked all the birds out. It is also possible that it could be a Green-tailed Towhee mewing, since this house has feeders set up in the yard, but the mews seemed to ascend at the beginning of the call, not near the end.
A couple of semi-out of place birds were a male Costa's Hummingbird and a White-winged Dove. List of birds is as follows. Sue Smith, Del Mar, CA

Point Loma residential--upper, San Diego, California, US
Sep 8, 2017 8:30 AM - 10:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments: Partly sunny to sunny, 72 to 80 deg f, wind 1 to 4 from southwest. Heard what was likely a Catbird mewing and doing chwut call at the east end of the alley that is between Pio Pico and Dupont, but could not get visual to confirm. It is possible that it could be a Green-tailed Towhee mewing, but the mews seemed to ascend at the beginning of the call, not near the end.
33 species (+2 other taxa)

Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Western Gull 1 Flyover
White-winged Dove 1 Corner Dudley and Catalina. Dove perched at peak of tree with white slash leading edge of wing and in tail, and pale cheek patch.
Mourning Dove 30
White-throated Swift 1
Anna's Hummingbird 9
Costa's Hummingbird 1