Date: 9/8/17 9:14 am
From: Daniel Neiman <daniel.neiman...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Nelson Island -- midnight
I drove out to the Nelson Island parking lot last night to see if I could get a glimpse of the auroras sparked by the recent solar flare. Sadly, any aurora was washed out by the full moon. However, both at home and, continuously at the parking lot, I could hear owls hooting away in the woods. Definitely a barred owl at home. Not so sure about the one at Nelson Island. Also, and somewhat more interestingly, there was a lot of bird activity in the parking lot itself. Unseen birds were peeping loudly and flying about. I guess the full moon was providing enough light for them to fly and feed? Sadly, my bird call identification skills are not adequate to tell what kind of birds they were, and the few glimpses I had by flashlight indicated only that they were small and light colored, which hardly narrows it down much.

Join us on Facebook!