Date: 9/8/17 8:32 am
From: Adam Burnett <adamburnett33...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Fish Crow(s) in Keene
My mom and I just saw and heard a Fish Crow in the Staples parking lot on
Key Road in Keene. We heard his nasal calls as soon as we got out of the
car, then spotted him on top of a light pole. We watched him and listened
to him for a few minutes before going into the store. When we came back
out, we heard him calling from over by the Keene Cinemas, so we drove over
to that parking lot. There were four crows there, two of which flew off
immediately. We watched the other two for a couple minutes, and while they
were pretty quiet, we did hear one give some Fish Crow calls. I think the
other bird was also a Fish Crow, because the two birds seemed to associate
closely together, but I’m not sure. There’s at least one Fish Crow around,
anyway, and perhaps four. I wonder if these birds bred here or if they’re
just passing through. There are several fast-food restaurants in this area,
and the Ashuelot River is nearby, so it could be good habitat for this
species. I also see a couple eBird reports of Fish Crow in Keene from
earlier this year. Keene may be the next outpost for our Fish Crow invaders!

Adam Burnett
Westmoreland