Date: 9/8/17 8:03 am
From: Christopher Bennett <cpb2564...>
Subject: [de-birds] Big Stone Beach Road Yesterday and this Morning
I took a run out Big Stone Beach Road yesterday after work and this morning
before work hoping to find a few migrants. Didn't see much in the way of
migrant songbirds other than a few American Redstarts and a young male
Baltimore Oriole, but I did have a few nice birds including:

Yesterday:
28 Blue-winged Teal, 3 Northern Shovelers, 2 Northern Pintail, 4 WHITE IBIS
(flew across the marsh heading towards the bay south of the marsh near the
end of the road), 1 Northern Harrier, 5 Virginia Rails, 1 Yellow-billed
Cuckoo, 1 each Barred Owl, Great Horned Owl and Eastern Screech-Owl (all
heard only), and a huge surprise, a calling EASTERN WHIP-POOR-WILL, 1
Brown-headed Nuthatch and 4 American Redstarts

Today:
5 Wood Duck, 18 Blue-winged Teal, 16 Northern Shoveler, 2 Northern Pintail,
1 Northern Harrier, 2 Virginia Rail, 1 BLACK TERN, 6 Woodpecker species
including 1 juvenile RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, 2 Empidonax flycatchers (one
may have been an Acadian), 3 Brown-Headed Nuthatches, 3 American Redstarts
and 1 Baltimore Oriole.

All birds were seen along Big Stone Beach Road between the dirt road on the
right approximately 0.4 miles past Scott's Corner Road to the marsh just
before the tower at the end of the road.

Chris Bennett
Milford, DE

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Join us on Facebook!