Date: 9/8/17 7:35 am
From: Curtis Wolf <cjwolf...>
Subject: Cheyenne Bottoms Report
Hello all.

It's been great seeing and talking to many of you this season. Thanks for stopping by the KS Wetlands Education Center.

The hot topic this week at the KWEC/Cheyenne Bottoms has been pelicans. Thanks to the article in the Wichita Eagle last week, we have been overrun with people looking for big white birds. It's been great. And, the birds have cooperated with thousands of pelicans able to be seen most trips through the Bottoms. Evenings seem to be a great time to see the birds being more active.

I thought a quick report from Cheyenne Bottoms might be helpful to some of you that might be heading this way in the coming weeks.

KDWPT staff have been moving water in most pools of the Wildlife Area in preparation for the hunting seasons. Of which, early teal season begins this Saturday and runs through Sept. 24, FYI. As a result of this moved water, the shorebird habitat (that was viewable from roads previously) is mostly gone now. While I'm sure we have a good number of shorebirds here, there is no concentration of them at this point with the deeper water.

With that said, wading birds are plentiful. The sheer numbers of egrets and herons area-wide is downright impressive.

For gull enthusiasts, I've noticed a big influx in gull numbers over the last week. Franklin's and Ring-billed as far as my abilities go, but I'm sure some other good species cold be spotted if anyone is interested in doing some scanning.

I have not heard of any out of the ordinary sightings recently, but there has been plenty to see. Check ebird for some recent posts if you are interested in a species list.

That is all for now. Have a great weekend.

Curtis Wolf
Director, Ks Wetlands Education Center
Great Bend, KS
Fort Hays State University