Date: 9/7/17 7:34 pm
Subject: Nash Co. Turf Farm 6 Buff-breasted S. hustle around and leave? some peep
6 to 7 PM with wind from nw. Almost nothing at first, scanning from west to east end of turf farm. Maybe 4 Killdeer in sw. Thought skunked.

Returning to interstate while scanning with scope, I noticed some 15 H. Larks out behind the center pivot irrigation in bare ground behind a line of brown tall grass. These foraging birds caused me to notice some 20 peep foraging in the dead grass, including at least 2 Pectoral S. Way far out northeast. Viewing from road a bit west of main entrance to Vandemark Turf.

Set up scope again near Shiloh Church and noticed 6 Buff-breasted Sandpipers on green sod way out; these seemed not to have been there while I worked from west to east. They were rushing about, spread out, more active than any Buffies I have ever watched. And, they apparently upped and left, by the time I got my wife through the tall grass and traffic to view the birds.

When I tried to relocate the flock, I found a largish, darkish-reddish elongate ?sandpiper? in a line of tall brown grass, moving about v. slowly and ducking out of view, perhaps an Upland Sandpiper, center and way back from Shiloh Church. Using up to 60x, it was quite tough to make out most birds, due to distance. Good light.

And when I returned to the sw corner, a few more Killdeer moved in, giving a total of 6.

A few crows and Starlings when I arrived, but they left. No harriers. Mourning Doves on all three visits (not mentioned earlier).

Sept 7, 2017.

Also, had two Killdeer drop into my gravelled chick yard (semi- tractor-trailer turnaround) in morning, and one at Richneck Road cow pasture in PM. Killdeer numbers seem to change quite a lot--could this be migration?

Frank Enders, Halifax, NC

Join us on Facebook!