Date: 9/7/17 6:30 pm
From: Chuck & Jaye Otte <otte2...>
Subject: Re: Playa
I find this discussion fascinating as I do anytime local geographical features
are described. Further south in Texas, ponds or playas are often called
tanks.

I think it is interesting here to consider the string of features from Texas
north in to Canada through the Great Plains. For the most part you have a
continuim of natural ephemeral water holding depressions. In dry years
these are dry and can be nearly devoid of life. In wet years they hold water
and can be teaming with life. In the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma, Kansas
and part of Colorado we call them playas. you get up into Nebraksa and you
have the Rainwater Basin region. Our family farm in extreme northwest York
County Nebraska was on the edge of this region. I grew up with a 600 acre
basin to the immediate south. Spring summer and early fall would find me
riding my bicycle down to them to go birding and in the late fall and winter I
would hunt in them. I grew up calling these depressions basins and they
were rich with bird life. The Sandhills of Nebraska have their own amazing
aquatic topography and then you move into the Dakotas and the Prairie
Provinces of Canada and you have the Prairie Potholes. Elmer just referred
to them as sloughs and I've heard that term before as well. Many different
names and subtle differences yet all these areas are critical ecological
systems maintaining life for thousands of species!

Chuck

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>

Join us on Facebook!