Date: 9/7/17 6:19 pm
From: 'Frederick Fallon' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Black Tern in Garrett
Driving homeward from a wedding in Ohio, we decided to stop in Oakland and try for the rarities reported there. On Wed AM, we dipped on the phalaropes at Trout Run WTP, the OSFL at Loch Lynn Park, and the SACR on Musser Rd. But as a consolation prize we spotted a Black Tern over the flooded field on Pea Patch Rd, where the Sandhill Crane is a sometime visitor. At this season the face was pied black and white; some black remained on the axillaries. This bird is probably more unexpected than the Sandhill Crane itself.
Fred & Jane FallonHuntingtown