Date: 9/7/17 6:02 pm
From: Jim Danzenbaker <jdanzenbaker...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] 8X or 10X
Wally,

A general rule of thumb is that the more magnification, the more difficult
it is to hold the binocular steady. When you are at Cabela's, take an 8x
and a 10x of the same series of binocular (important that everything about
the two compared binoculars are the same except the magnification). Locate
something in viewing range and look at it through the 10x. Study the outer
edge of the field of view to determine if you can hold the binocular
steady. If it is wobbly and it gets in the way of your viewing experience,
then go with a lower magnification. You probably won't have the wobbly
issue with a lower magnification binocular.

Also, the choice between a lower mag and a higher mag can be boiled down to
one question: is field of view and brightness more important than bringing
the image closer. If the answer to that question is yes, then go with the
lower magnification.

Just my two cents.

Jim
Battle Ground, WA

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Wally Davis <wallydavis3...> wrote:

> I have been doing a lot of research on binoculars lately and spent quite a
> bit of time at Cabela’s testing highly rated bins against a visual acuity
> grid. I have selected the Vortex Viper HD but am still wrestling with
> whether to get 8X or 10X. I saw many of both in use at the swallow-tailed
> gull gaggle the last couple of days. I would very much like to hear from
> people who own both sizes about which they prefer to use and why.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Wally Davis
>
> Snohomish

Jim Danzenbaker