Date: 9/7/17 3:59 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Subject: [GABO-L] HURRICANE IRMA
Hi All,

As Hurricane Irma approaches the U.S. coast our thoughts and prayers are with and for all of our Georgia birders, our family and friends, and everyone everywhere who may be or already has been impacted in any way by this very severe storm.

It's too early to tell if the hurricane will change course, weaken, or strengthen for sure by the time it gets to the north Florida/Georgia area Monday as currently projected.

According to the current track right now at the National Hurricane Center (NHC) it looks like there is great potential for Irma to track up through the Florida peninsula and Still Be A Hurricane over the Okefenokee Swamp area and on into Georgia Monday before diminishing by mid-day Tuesday to a tropical storm in north Georgia or eastern Tennessee! Wow!

---

Governor Nathan Deal has already issued, and will be issuing more, official press releases including state of emergency status at:

https://gov.georgia.gov/press-releases/2017

---

NOAA's National Hurricane Center provides the best way to keep official tabs on Irma, or on any hurricane or tropical storm which may impact our area at:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Click on the red swirl for IRMA for the constantly updating but latest wind speed probabilities, warnings/cone static images, warnings and surface winds, storm surge inundation, and U.S. rainfall potential products and information, among others.

---

There is storm birding, and there are storm birds and birders, but as we learn again with every hurricane, storm-birding the heart of the storm area during or immediately after a hurricane is not advisable for a lot of major reasons. Wednesday it may be safe to get out there in some areas and it looks like there certainly should be a lot of storm birds in Georgia next week, and maybe even the week after!

---

Safety and Security to Everyone,

Mark

Mark McShane