Date: 9/7/17 12:36 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach, Dunes & Hedge Area Thursday 9-7-17
Hello Bird People,

Had a 10:30 a.m. appointment in Chicago (of course I was late) so it
made sense to do some early a.m. birding at Montrose. Didn't expect
much in the area of shorebirds & that's what I got but I did expect
numbers of land birds with all the N.W. winds lately, however, I
didn't get that either.

Beach & Dunes (6:45-9 a.m.)

Found it hard to believe that not 1 shorebird was by Lake Montrose
Beach or the Protected Beach but that's what happened. Even gave it an
hour of waiting & looking to no avail. Then while not finding a
Nelson's Sparrow in the Dunes I ran into Andrew A who told me a RUDDY
TURNSTONE was on the beginning of the fisherman's pier. It was but too
far away to I.D. & then it flew to the middle of the pier. As I got
closer it was flushed by a bike rider & flew all the way the end of
the "fish hook" part of the pier but not before I could clearly see
it's bright orange legs & feet. So no "shorebird shutout" on this day.
Then seen on the Protected Beach was 1 Semipalmated Plover & then 2
Killdeer by the flooded beach area. Later the Ruddy T flew back to the
Protected Beach & hung out with the small Plover. Both were quite tame
especially the Ruddy T.

Not much else on the beach other than Ring Billed (289 exact count) &
Herring (6) Gulls & a few hunting Barn Swallows. By the Dunes Willows
were 2 Palm Warblers & 1 female Common Yellowthroat. Then in flew an
ORANGE CROWNED WARBLER which was a week or 10 days earlier than usual.
But I had a good look at it's yellow under-tail coverts so I'm sure
that's what it was.
(Ebird gets a description line!) The most bothersome event was when a
woman with a young German Shepard encouraged the dog to chase the
gulls which it did with rare zeal flushing over 200 of them. Good
thing no rare shorebirds were there with birders yet to arrive.

Later up by the hedge area I added Magnolia & Blackpoll Warblers (1
each) & 2 Swainson's Thrushes. Also 1 Warbling Vireo continues to sing
& one Cooper's Hawk was dashing around & flushing the small birds.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the early Orange Crowned Warbler & Runner-Up to the
Ruddy Turnstone.

Good license plates were one from Idaho on Marine Drive & one from
Utah in Evanston.

Al Stokie
In Cook County by Lake Michigan today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>