Date: 9/6/17 10:44 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (06 Sep 2017) Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Sharon Milner

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Sharon Milner, Ian Stewart, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy with Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 2,600 ft., Visibility - 6-10
miles, Temps 65 - 68F, Winds NNW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
2-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (20) and Turkey Vultures (25).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Pish…They’re Over Here”---

Sharon arrived with Bobolink on her mind. Let’s see what we can do about
that… Fairly quickly, we had groups of Bobolinks flying over…no good looks
were had, but they were there. Next Sharon desired a Chestnut-sided
Warbler, so a walk was in order to our woodland edge and thickets. We
arrived and I commenced to pishing to try to entice them closer. It wasn’t
working…nothing to entice. Nothing came in or responded in any way.
“Pishh, pish, pishh….” Nothing developed, save me getting a bit
light-headed, as I “pished” the time away.
“What are they waiting for?” asked Sharon.
“Likely waiting for me to pass out!” I breathed, as I was beginning to
hyperventilate.
Still nothing met our gaze. Soon, we ran into Ian, back from banding. He
had connected with a pocket of warblers and directed us towards the only
group today. We were soon among them…Tennessee, Magnolia, Redstarts, a
couple of Nashville. Oh, and once again there was a glorious Olive-sided
Flycatcher, close and low for this species, but still atop a shorter snag.
Blue Grosbeaks were obvious again.
Warblers were reported by a friend of the watch on a walk along the
Brandywine including Northern Waterthrush, Black-and-white, and
Gnatcatchers. (KR) Another Olive-sided Flycatcher was reported from near
Wagontown. (DK)
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, 2-Tennessee Warbler, 2-Nashville Warbler,
2-Magnolia Warbler, 4-Blue Grosbeak, 35-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (2): Monarch - 3, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail. Dragonflies (0): Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (2):
Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.55; Steps: 10,683; Floors: 9.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 44; this season: 92
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Nashville
Warbler.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks improving with mostly sunny skies.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE LAND

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):