Date: 9/6/17 10:07 pm
From: <enhunn323...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [NBB] Possible Yellow Billed Cuckoo Owl Canyon Sonoma County Bodega bay
Mark and NiBBers,

I heard the same call at the top of Owl Canyon about 1 PM today and had the same thought, cuckoo, but there was no repeat so I figured it was my imagination.

Otherwise it was a rather slow but pleasant day around Bodega Bay. I started out at Pinnacle Gulch (accessible from the South Harbour development) where the highlight was an early soot-type Fox Sparrow and what seemed to me to be a very small immature or female hummer, possibly a Calliope. At the Stallcup Overlook in the Doran Regional Park there were two (maybe five, according to another observer) Red Knots and two juvenile Ruddy Turnstones. A single Warbling Vireo was at Hole-in-the-Head and two empidonaces were up Owl Canyon, one a rather colorful "Western Flycatcher" and the other I judged to be a Hammond's, small, rather dark grayish, with a teardrop eye-ring and a darkish gray vest, and a small, narrow, dark bill, but silent. Otherwise just a few Yellow and Wilson's Warblers here and there.

Gene Hunn
Petaluma