Date: 9/6/17 9:14 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Limpkins Continue - Lake Blalock, Clayton County Water Authority, Henry County - 9/4/2017
Hi All,

I don't think there's been a Henry County Limpkin report since the birds were seen on the 2nd. I was able to see two out of three of the Limpkins on the 4th at about 1pm.

The eBird checklist with a few pics:

Following are the exact coordinates where I saw the Limpkins on the property. I have only seen the birds this one time this year after a couple of previously unsuccessful tries, but I think that this is one of their regular spots, or their main spot according to previous posts:

Decimal Degrees (WGS84): 33.479669, -84.292492
GPS: N 33 28.780 W 84 17.550

One or more Limpkins have been reported this year in the Clayton County Water Authority (CCWA) interior wetlands (no public access), or at Lake Blalock since May 3rd! Can't remember if they were reported from any other sites in the immediate area this year. Jeff Sewell posted on 5/3 that Limpkin was last seen in the area in June 2004 and in July 2006! We have become a little jaded maybe regarding seeing Limpkin in Georgia recently. The Annotated Checklist of Georgia Birds 2003 edition commented that they were formerly rare local residents, but that they had become accidental in the state. A far wailing krr-oww from the annual Georgia Limpkin experiences we enjoy lately.

Thanks to everyone who has posted these very cool Piedmont birds this season, and especially to Carol Lambert (CCWA Conservation retiree) and to Jeff Sewell, who have provided so much effort over many years to facilitate and coordinate access, field trips, and much more behind the scenes, so that many, many birders have been and continue to be able to enjoy the CCWA sites in the area!

Good Birding All!

Mark

Mark McShane
Lawrenceville, Gwinnett County, Georgia