Date: 9/6/17 8:41 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (05 Sep 2017) 7 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Mike Gardner

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Mike Gardner, Sue McLaughlin, Rand McIlvaine
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 71 - 82F, Winds SSW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Bald Eagle,
2-Cooper's Hawk, 4-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous
Black (60) and Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Quick, Break Something”---

Today began with a measure of sadness. First, came news of a hurricane
bearing down on Florida. A category 5, now. These storms enact a terrible
toll on our migrating birds. And here we are at the pinnacle of songbird
migration. Don’t these small miracles have enough to deal with? I mean
our human influence, habitat destruction, our over-population…and more?
Now this obstacle? Countless birds perish in these storms. Fair well, my
tiny friends…

Then upon nearing Bucktoe, came a corpse of a Red Fox – a road kill,
obviously running off the preserve onto Sharp Road, whereupon it was struck
and became the latest roadkill. These poor animals did not evolve with
cars and learn to avoid them. I hate our hastened influence upon nature
most of all.

Quick, I need some good birds to distract me! Mike arrived, spotting our
first Bald Eagle – an adult. A fourth-year Eagle was soon to join it.
Later, two more Eagles drifting north – not migrants. A few Ospreys were
on the move. A flock of Double-crested Cormorants flew over and a Warbling
Vireo sang a couple of times from the woods to our north. My good friend
Rand dropped in from Tri-State Bird Rescue with news of saving two owls –
one Great Horned, one Screech. Rand is a handyman extraordinaire…let me
see, what needs fixed? There’s gotta be something here, Rand. Stay right
there! I can’t find anything…wait Rand, I’ll break something! [Day’s
“Walk with Nature:” 13,324steps – 5.68miles -- 33floors]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
5-Double-crested Cormorant, 1-Great Blue Heron, 1-Warbling Vireo, 3-Blue
Grosbeak, 8-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (12): Monarch - 12, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Meadow Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green
Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0): Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.68; Steps: 13,324; Floors:
33.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 48; this season: 91
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Double-crested Cormorant.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks more rain
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE LAND

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):